On-demand roadside assistance helps Aussie travellers out of unexpected situations
School holidays and the festive season are nearly upon us. For many, it’s a chance to head off for some much-needed rest and relaxation with the family. However, for some Aussies, unexpected auto breakdowns can leave them stuck before their trip has even begun.
During holidays, highways entering and leaving major cities might be perceived as the prime locations for breakdowns, especially with reports of gridlocked roads. However, surprisingly, according to data from on-demand roadside assistance service gotU the locations where most drivers required emergency assistance were in and around airports!
The most common service airport travellers requested from gotU’s flexible and convenient on-demand roadside app was jump-start assistance at a staggering 77%. Of those airport travellers requiring jump-start assistance from gotU, 64% were in the vicinity of Sydney’s Mascot Airport, followed by 20% in and around Brisbane Airport and 15% within the areas surrounding Perth Airport. Whilst there are an overwhelming number of call-outs for jump-start assistance, perhaps due to leaving car lights on, this can be avoidable if drivers take the correct preventative measures.
No traveller wants to be stuck due to an unexpected breakdown. That’s why gotU is calling on all drivers to consider these savvy tips to help prevent last minute auto emergencies.
Prevent a flat battery
- If arriving at the airport for a late night flight, check your headlights are switched off before you get out of your car to avoid draining your battery.
- Make sure all your doors are shut properly, including your boot, even if you’re in a rush. If left on, a very dim dome light can drain a car battery overnight.
- If leaving your car at the airport for an extended period of time, the battery can go flat if your vehicle is not driven. Make sure your car is serviced regularly and your battery is replaced every 4-5 years.
Be prepared just in case you do break down on the roadside…
- Nobody wants to break down en route for holiday, but be prepared in case you do. Pack yourself a ‘comfort kit’ for you and your passengers and put it in the boot. This could include bottled water, wrapped snacks and practical stuff like an umbrella and torch. It’s great to have on hand while you are waiting for roadside assistance.
- Make sure that you download the gotU app from App store or Google Play, so that you can get on-demand roadside assistance at the touch of a button.
Simon Wilson, gotU Head of Innovation, says “A breakdown can happen at any time no matter the age of your car. Over the last year alone, there has been over 31,000 downloads of the gotU app and we’ve responded to thousands of callouts. With the upcoming holiday season being a busy time for travel, please be prepared. Often when drivers are heading to the airport there’s little time to spare, so it’s important to have a backup option like gotU that can help you out from unexpected auto situations, conveniently and easily, when you need it most.”
To celebrate one year in the market, gotU will also be trialling a new pricing structure in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne starting from just $69 including GST per service.
For more information on gotU, the trial pricing structure and prices for incident locations outside Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne check out www.gotU.com.au
Notes to Editors
About gotU: The gotU idea came to life through Allianz Worldwide Partners who have been on the road in every corner of the country helping people for over 20 years. gotU entered the roadside assistance market to offer dissatisfied roadside assistance club members, or those not covered at all, an alternative to annual roadside assistance memberships. gotU uses the same network of service providers, so you can be sure you’re in safe hands with a fully qualified, highly trained and experienced team. Whatever the situation, we’ve gotU.
Further information on gotU:
- gotU has no joining fees and no annual fees – you only pay for what you need, when you need it.
- gotU’s innovative features enable customers to track their service provider in real-time, so they can see exactly how far away their roadside assistance provider is, as well as service providers for family members, too.
- The app pinpoints the user’s location, finds the nearest service provider and then sends someone to help.
- Due to the app’s success across the country, gotU has now expanded into most major metro areas in Australia including Adelaide and the Central Coast.
 Transport Management Centre